For the residence permit application to Austria you will need the following documents:

  • Fully completed and signed application form for a residence permit for pupils (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Schüler”). 
  • Recent colour photograph, size between 3.5 x 4.5 cm and 4.0 x 5.0 cm,
  • Valid passport,
  • Birth certificate,
  • Notification of admission of IBS (issued after IBS receives your payment),
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to finance your stay for 12 months: students up to 24 years must have at least 487.53 EUR/month, students of 24 or older must have at least 882.78 EUR/month on their bank account (the account has to be accessible from Austria, .e.g. Raiffeisen Bank, Erste Bank, Bank Austria, Hypo Group, Volksbank etc. more) or proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the necessary amount. (If the costs for accommodation exceed 282.06 EUR/month, you have to prove additional funds.)
  • Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. accommodation contract of a student hall of residence,
  • Proof of a health insurance ("travel health insurance") valid from entry to the beginning of your studies in Austria or to the beginning of your student insurance. The application for a student insurance with the Austrian national health insurance carrier (Gebietskrankenkasse) has to be proved upon request of the Austrian authority. Please find a  list of approved insurance providers by MA35 on this link.
  • Police record/certificate of good conduct (where available).

All documents (except passport) should be first legalized (in some countries it is done only with an apostille in the form of a seal, in other countries first by the regional office, then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Austrian Consulate). All documents must be translated to German with an official translation. Please enclose the original documents with a photocopy, and also a copy of the legalised translation and the legalisation. The residence permit application fee is EUR 120. The application process is at least 3 months, so please start it as early as possible.

As the application requirements can vary in each country, please contact the nearest Austrian Consulate for an exact list of requirements!

If your residence permit is granted, you will need to apply for a type D visa at the Austrian Consulate that grants you one entry to Austria.

The residence permit for pupils allows you to work, but IBS cannot assist you to find a job.